- the world’s third most spoken language, after Mandarin Chinese and English, and ranks second in terms of native speakers
- spoken on all continents, most extensively in North and South America, Europe, and certain parts of Africa, Asia and Oceania
- the second most used language in international communication, and an official language of the UN and its organizations
- is the mother tongue of approximately 350 million people in 21 countries, and is widely spoken in another 21 countries where it is not an official language
- one of the most popular languages to study.
More and more people study Spanish everyday all over the world, because they want:
- to communicate with native speakers of Spanish
- travel with ease to Spanish-speaking countries
- understand Spanish culture better: read Spanish books in the original, listen to Spanish songs and watch movies in Spanish
- get education in Spanish-speaking countries
- develop their business/ be promoted/get a job.
As for me, I want to learn Spanish, because I consider it one of the most beautiful languages in the world. I really like Spanish culture – Art (architecture and artists), Dance (not only flamenco but latin american as well), actors (Penelope Cruz), singers (Ricky Martin, Natalia Oreiro, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, Mark Antony). I do want to understand Spanish songs in the original and watch films. I’m dreaming about travelling to Spain, but I want to learn some basic phrases first.
What about you? Why do you study Spanish?